What is Spirituality?
Definition: 'Spirit’ comes from the Latin ‘spiritus’ – meaning ‘breath’, ‘soul’, ‘vigour’, ‘courage’.
The Shorter Oxford Dictionary defines ‘spirit’ as: “The animating or vital principle in man (and animals) that gives life to the physical organism, in contrast to its purely material elements; the breath of life.” It also defines 'Spiritual' in the following way: “Of, pertaining to, affecting or concerning, the spirit or higher moral qualities, especially as regarded in a religious aspect.”
It’s worth noting that the above definition, while stressing the religious nature of many aspects of spirituality, also makes it clear that it can also be applied, with no religious connotations, to “higher moral qualities”.
Mary Rose has spent years researching Spirituality and has come to define the term according to these principles:
1. There is a 'God', an 'Infinite Intelligence', the Source of All That Is.
2. There are being beyond the physical that can influence your thoughts and your life. Examples of these are angels, saints, Jesus, etc.
3. We want to be open to understanding the communications from the other side.
4. If we listen and understand, our lives will be better.
5. The Supreme Being wants our lives to be in balance.
6. Putting your life into accord with Spiritual Law will bring peace.
7. Spirituality is an inner experience between you and 'God'. You no longer need an intermediary (priest, minister, pastor, etc.).
You Can Achieve Spirituality
Listen, Pay Attention and Act.
How is Spirituality Different From Religion?
One of the main differences between Spirituality and Reglion is that Spirituality does not ostrecize or exile those who make mistakes.
Set yourself free from the unintentional mistruths. Many of these mistruths have been passed down for generations. Usually, these mistruths led us to believe a certain way about life that we never questioned... until now. It really makes you think!!
That's what Spirituality is all about. It includes all the factors, not just what you were taught. Spirituality asks the deeper questions of life.
Now, where can you learn more about Spirituality? This is a great place to begin! Mary Rose offers classes and discussions right here through the web.
Spirituality is like self-examination - with a different microscope.